Monday, January 29, 2007

Week 5: Breathe

It may seem like I am working fast, but this one's been on the table for a couple of weeks. I started out making it for another board's challenge: Make a set using pearls/shells...and 70% of the components have to be purchased from a specific retail hobby store.

The real challenge (for me) was that the choices at the store for real pearls and shells are pretty limited, but I did like the rectangular shells and thought about doing a stretchy bracelet with the Swarovski double-drilled crystal spacers. The bracelet was a snap, but I was kind of stuck trying to figure out a necklace to go with it...and earrings to boot.

After trying several different designs, I finally came up with a mosaic/puzzle pendant using a square frame. Because the shells spun on the thin wire, it didn't turn out exactly as I'd planned, but close enough. I then used seed beads, the shells and Swarovski components to make a necklace to pull the whole thing together.

The earrings were simple - I just used wire to wrap the double drilled holes on either end like a briolette. Dangle a shell on a headpin at one end, and a post/wire on the other end. I like this style of earring finding - it's super comfy.

All in all, I'm pleased with my results...and I can finally "breathe" again knowing that the challenge is on the books as completed!

No comments: